Love

Love

Oct 23, 2011

Why I want to do this....

So I'm a freshman in college and everything has changed. It's a new place with new people. And these new people have different values from my friends back home. One of these is sexuality.
Last year in high school, I studied Bl. John Paul II's Theology of the Body, and it definitely changed my perspective on almost everything. I can say it effects how I dress, the music I listen to, and even how I think about myself.
And I really have not changed since coming to college (I know... a whole 3 months). But I'm hearing and seeing things for the first time that pretty much contradict what I learned. For a lot of people, "going out" means wearing short skirts and tank tops and going to the local club. In and of itself, the club isn't bad... until people are all over each other. Honestly, it's pretty disgusting. Then parties can get much worse. People get drunk and sometimes out of control. One of my friends told me that it's like you don't care too much who touches you. But for me... I'm still like "wait. No, you aren't going to get too close."
I want guys to respect me. I'd rather be called beautiful than sexy. I'd rather be pursued and mysterious than throwing myself at random guys. Then someday, when I meet my prince charming, I would rather have him cherish me than want me (although I would not mind if he found me super attractive :P). And a lot of these views are influenced directly from theology of the body.
Now, I want to learn more. I don't want to forget what I learned about last year. And more than that... I want to share this message. I believe that it's for everyone. Catholic of not. Christian or not. Boy and girl. This is for the older generations. This is for College students. This is for High School students. This is for Middle School students. Hey, you could even share the ideas with younger kids who have not had "the talk" yet!
So I am going to spend every day (at least once a week) reading bits of the Pope's Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body and blogging my thoughts, and how I think it relates to me and other young people. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment