Love

Love

Nov 4, 2011

"Wojtyla and Kant" part 2

Okay, I finished. And it was interesting to say the least.

The two main points I remember are how Kant believed in total autonomy, which meant not needing a connection with a person much less a God. I don't think I really need to go into how Christianity in general is different here, but it's funny. This is actually one of the topics for an essay I'm working on right now. In order for religious worship to be real, you have to put yourself into it. You NEED to relationship with God. Kant just does not see that.

Then sex (gasp!). It's funny, both Kant and JP2 say that 1) sex should not be just using the other person and 2) it is a total gift of self. But it's interesting to see how the two completely diverge from there. Kant says that there is no way to not use the other person in sex. Not to use them for pleasure. But John Paul II says that it does not have to be that way. Sex can be a beautiful thing that not only images God's love, but also makes babies. It's special, and not necessarily useful of the other person.

But it's interesting that both philosophers agreed that using another person for personal pleasure is just wrong. But think. How often do I do that? Not just in a sexual way, but do I use another person for his or her abilities? Do I have this one friend that I really only talk to when I need something? I think we all need to think about this, and make a commitment to love each other not for what we do, but who we are. Not for what we get, but for the sake of that other person.

No comments:

Post a Comment